Life force energy is known by different names in different cultures. The Japanese call it Ki, in India it’s Prana, China its Chi or Qi, Sufis call it Baraka, Christians call it Light and so on.
Throughout history many cultures (including the Romans, Egyptians and Native Americans) have shared the knowledge of hands-on healing to younger generations. These energy sharing practices are thought to promote health and well-being.
It is believed that life force energy runs through our bodies whilst we are living and leaves us when we die. Our resources come from the air we breathe, the water we drink and the food we eat. Which makes sense really as you can’t survive without these things!
Energy is also thought to be associated with movement. It moves the wind, the sea and even the blood in your veins!
What do the scientists say?
Scientists have been aware of energy fields for many years. Things that appear to solid and separate to each other are actually believed to be made up of particles of energy which vibrate at different speeds. This causes the pattern of the physical form. Some scientists would say that matter is nothing more but condensed slowed down version of energy.
So this basically means that everything around us is energy, we physically are made up from energy and together we are part of one big energy field!
So what does this mean when having a Shiatsu or Reiki treatment?
In Shiatsu, ill health is thought to be caused by an energy blockage or reduction of energy in the meridians (energy channels) in the body. The purpose of shiatsu is to regulate the flow of energy allowing it to be suitably passed round your body. The Practitioner does this by stimulating or calming the meridians and acupressure points using their hands, knees or elbows.
The fact that you cant physically see meridians when you dissect a body can cause some people to be skeptical. But the meridians do not exist if there is no energy and if there is no energy then the person is dead. So it makes sense that you would not see the meridians within a dead body.
When practising Reiki the practitioner treats the energy when it collects in the chakras (wheel of energy). Reiki is said to dissolve energy blockages or encourage movement of stuck energy. So works in a similar way to Shiatsu.
If life force energy is abundant and flowing well then you will experience good physical and mental health. If you are stressed or anxious then your energy will be reduced and you may experience issues such as pain, tension or have problems sleeping. Too much energy however, can also cause pain and affect your health and wellbeing.
What can you do to improve your flow of life force energy?
- Have regular shiatsu or reiki sessions. I would normally recommend monthly treatments, unless there is a particular issue you are trying to resolve. In those cases, then having treatments more frequently may be appropriate.
- Take a regular class in Thai Chi, Qi Gong, yoga or Shakti Dance. These disciplines all work with the flow of energy.
- Practice Makka Ho Stretches daily, to open up the meridians and encourage the free flow of energy.
- Eat natural, locally grown seasonal foods. This can help you be more in tune with the natural rhythms and will have a positive affect on your body.
- Remember to drink plenty of water.
- Practice daily meditation and breathing exercises.